UVA Launches New Certificate in Data Science for Business Strategy
By Dave Hendrick
Three-course program provides technical perspectives, business expertise and ethical leadership to forge competitive advantages for individuals and organizations.
The University of Virginia has announced the launch of a new noncredit certificate in Data Science for Business Strategy. The certificate is an opportunity for those interested in gaining a foundational understanding of the powerful field of data science and how data, analytics and technology can be deployed to improve business performance.
The certificate program is a first-of-its-kind collaboration among three schools at UVA: the Darden School of Business, the McIntire School of Commerce and the new School of Data Science, which was established in January 2019 thanks to the largest gift in the University’s history.
“This innovative and interdisciplinary certificate will offer an opportunity for professionals to better understand the key role data science will play in our global, information-based economy and future,” said University of Virginia President Jim Ryan. “Importantly, UVA’s unique program emphasizes ethics and a commitment to the public good, and is a terrific choice for anyone looking to broaden their knowledge in this field.”
The new certificate program, which will launch in June, builds on the initial collaboration for the Foundations of Data Science for Business Leaders program series first launched in 2020.
The noncredit certificate from UVA Darden Executive Education & Lifelong Learning will be awarded upon completion of three programs.
- Strategic Use of Data – Leverage insights from data analytics to drive smarter decisions for your organizations.
- Data Science Methods and Applications – Discover tools and techniques to sharpen the execution of business and functional strategies.
- Managing Information for Analytics – Dive into many sources of data and learn how to collect, store and combine data for current and future needs.
Students have the option of taking live virtual or in-person courses and each can be taken as a standalone course or part of the certificate program. The in-person program is taught on Darden Grounds in Charlottesville, Virginia. The three live, virtual courses will begin with Strategic Use of Data on 7 June; the in-person program begins on 17 October.
The courses are taught by award-winning faculty from the three schools, as well as a faculty member from the UVA School of Architecture. Instructors bring extensive expertise, research and hands-on experience across a range of industries, including finance, government and technology, and are committed to deep understanding and student development.
The curriculum illuminates the role data, analytics and technology play in the workplace, and courses are designed for professional learners at all stages of their careers, from entry-level analysts to the C-suite. Participants are not required to have prior data science or technical experience.
The certificate responds to market need. Data scientists are among the fastest growing professions in the United States and data and analytics are woven throughout positions in every sector and industry in the modern workplace.
Participants will learn the tools available to analyze and interpret data to glean insights that can improve both their professional and organizational performance. They will also study the capabilities organizations need to create and operate an information pipeline that will empower and improve organizations.
Responsible leadership and the ethical considerations that present in technological advancement and data-intensive activity will play a central role in the program series.
Participants will learn, among other topics:
- How data, analytics and technology are both disrupting and providing strategic opportunities for entire industries
- Frameworks for turning strategy into action powered by analytics and data science
- Ethical issues that arise from data-intensive activity
- Data visualization techniques and tools, such as Tableau
- Data analysis using techniques, such as regression and classification, and tools, including Excel, Python and Jupyter
- An introduction to machine learning
- An exploration of emerging and expanding technologies, such as cloud, internet of things (IOT) and artificial intelligence, and new models, such as edge, SAAS and platforms
- Big data technologies for analytics and operations, including traditional and new data management technologies such as data warehouses and data lakes
- Considerations for information and architecture security
The curriculum and instruction is consistent across formats and taught using a combination of readings, lectures, case discussions, simulations, demonstrations and workshops.
Darden Executive Education & Lifelong Learning is provided by the University of Virginia Darden School Foundation.
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business prepares responsible global leaders through unparalleled transformational learning experiences. Darden’s graduate degree programs (MBA, MSBA and Ph.D.) and Executive Education & Lifelong Learning programs offered by the Darden School Foundation set the stage for a lifetime of career advancement and impact. Darden’s top-ranked faculty, renowned for teaching excellence, inspires and shapes modern business leadership worldwide through research, thought leadership and business publishing. Darden has Grounds in Charlottesville, Virginia, and the Washington, D.C., area and a global community that includes 18,000 alumni in 90 countries. Darden was established in 1955 at the University of Virginia, a top public university founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819 in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Associate Director, Editorial & Media Relations
Darden School of Business
University of Virginia