2015 UVA Investing Conference Explores Investing in a Low-Return World
Asset management experts and global thought leaders, convened by Darden’s top-ranked faculty and a volunteer conference executive committee, will gather to explore the current environment and the search for returns.
“We are truly excited about this year’s conference. As investors struggle to reach for returns and explore the realities of today’s low-return environment, we believe our experienced group of speakers will help shine a light on issues in an in-depth and considered format,” said Richard A. Mayo, chair, Mayo Capital Partners LLC. “From former leaders of the Federal Reserve to asset managers and market strategists, we plan to explore every angle, from single stocks and the macroeconomy to cryptocurrency and energy sources, in our search for ideas and interesting perspectives.”
Asset management experts and global thought leaders will gather for the two-day conference and will:
- Explore the current economic landscape.
- Identify opportunities in a diverging global monetary setting.
- Discuss implications for investors and risk managers.
- Provide insights to identify and analyze the way forward.
Guest speakers will include:
- Roger Ferguson Jr — president and CEO, TIAA-CREF
- William Poole — senior fellow, Cato Institute, former president and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of Saint Louis
- Tobias Levkovich — chief U.S. equity strategist, Citi Investment Research
- Thomas Brown — CEO, Second Curve Capital
- Scott Sleyster — senior vice president and chief investment officer, Prudential Financial
Industry experts will take a close look at three topics, with more speakers expected:
- Elizabeth Weymouth — partner, Riverstone Holdings
- Bob Sinnott — president and CEO, Kayne Anderson
- Don Wilkinson III — chief investment officer, Wilkinson O’Grady & Co. Inc.
- Charles de Vaulx — partner and chief investment officer, International Value Advisors
- Billal Sikander — managing partner, Monroe Hall Asset Management
DisruptiveFinancial Technology and Cryptocurrency
- L. Michael Meyer — co-founder and general partner, Route 66 Ventures LLC
“Since its inception seven years ago, the University of Virginia Investing Conference has enriched the University and Darden communities by attracting hundreds of students, faculty, executives, investors and asset management professionals to hear from and interact with leaders in the investing and asset management fields,” said Kenneth Eades, professor of business administration and academic director of the Mayo Center for Asset Management. “The conference serves as a prime example of how UVA, Darden, and the Mayo Center create connections and dialogue with the world of practicing managers.”
The conference will kick off Thursday, 12 November 2015, with the final rounds of the fourth annual Darden @ Virginia Investing Challenge, hosted by the Darden Capital Management club. The challenge will bring together 15 teams of students from top MBA programs to compete in a stock pitch competition.
Darden Capital Management is a student-run organization that prepares its membership for careers in investment management and research as well as other functions within the financial markets. The club’s assets under management have grown to over $10 million — held in five funds — making it one of the largest programs of its kind.
Corporate sponsors of the UVA Investing Conference include: Discovery Capital Management, Fort Washington Investment Advisors Inc., Sands Capital Management, Wilkinson O’ Grady Global Asset Management, Panning Capital Management LP and T. Rowe Price.
The event is open to the public; registration fees apply. Please visitwww.darden.virginia.edu/UVIC/for more details.
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business delivers the world’s best business education experience to prepare entrepreneurial, global and responsible leaders through its MBA, Ph.D., MSBA and Executive Education programs. Darden’s top-ranked faculty is renowned for teaching excellence and advances practical business knowledge through research. Darden was established in 1955 at the University of Virginia, a top public university founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819 in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Director of Media Relations
Darden School of Business
University of Virginia