2013 University of Virginia Investing Conference to Examine Technology, Energy, Endowments and the Global Investing Landscape
In today’s turbulent investing environment — driven by new, geopolitical forces — where can asset managers find attractive returns?
Asset management experts, convened by Darden’s top-ranked faculty, will gather to analyze the global investing landscape, which is shaped more than ever before by politics and policy — making it difficult to predict what’s next in macroeconomics.
“We’ll probe innovations and investment ideas that could help investors respond proactively to current conditions. Emerging from the recent government shutdown and operating within an environment of sequestration, the discussions will prove most interesting and insightful,” said Darden’s Dean Bob Bruner.
While considering broad, macro issues, the speakers and panelists will add micro insights and discuss strategies for asset allocation, investment selection and risk management.
Talks by guest speakers will include:
- Where Are Emerging Markets Headed? — Joyce Chang, Global Head of Fixed Income Research, JP Morgan Securities LLC
- Investing in Quality Business Models — Richard Chilton, Chairman & CEO, Chilton Investment Company
- The Outlook for the U.S. Economy and Its Financial Markets, and Investment Strategy — Tony Crescenzi, Executive Vice President, Market Strategist and Portfolio Manager, PIMCO
- Managing Money in Uncertain Times — Howard Marks, Chairman, Oaktree
- Equity Markets & the T.I.N.A. Factor (There Is No Alternative to Equities) — Jason DeSena Trennert, Managing Partner, Chairman & CEO, Strategas Research Partners LLC
Industry experts will take a close look at three topics:
- Larry Kochard, CEO and Chief Investment Officer, University of Virginia Investment Management Company (moderator)
- Donald W. Lindsey, Chief Investment Officer, The George Washington University
- Scott Malpass, Vice President and Chief Investment Officer, University of Notre Dame
- D. Ellen Shuman, Former Vice President and Chief Investment Officer, Carnegie Corporation
- Shelby Bonnie, Managing Director, Allen & Company (moderator)
- Henry Ellenbogen, Portfolio Manager, T. Rowe Price
- Scott Ferber, Chief Executive Officer, Videology
- Ned Hooper (MBA `94), Partner, Centerview Capital
- Kyle Bass, Managing Partner, Hayman Capital Management LP (moderator)
- Joseph “Jody” LaNasa III, Managing Partner, Serengeti Asset Management
- Wil VanLoh, President and Chief Executive Officer, Quantum Energy Partners
- Michael Watzky, Managing Partner, BP Natural Gas Opportunity Partners LP
Bloomberg Television will be the exclusive television broadcaster. Corporate sponsors include: American Civics Exchange; Discovery Capital Management LLC.; Collegiate Capital Management; Fort Washington Investment Advisors; Quantitative Investment Management; Sands Capital Management, Inc.; Wilkinson O’Grady & Company, Inc.; T. Rowe Price and Panning Capital.
The event is open to the public; registration fees apply.
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business delivers the world’s best business education experience to prepare entrepreneurial, global and responsible leaders through its MBA, Ph.D., MSBA and Executive Education programs. Darden’s top-ranked faculty is renowned for teaching excellence and advances practical business knowledge through research. Darden was established in 1955 at the University of Virginia, a top public university founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819 in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Director of Media Relations
Darden School of Business
University of Virginia